Monday, November 14, 2011

Dear Gramma,


Dear Gramma,

We had our moment. That moment as your health was failing that we looked in each other’s eyes and words failed us.  We were trying to tell each other how much we loved and meant to each other.  Finally through tears I managed to choke out, "What I am feeling for you now is the same as what you feel for me."  Serenity ensued as we both understood each other.  We got past such a fallible language and expressed the wordless emotion stronger then love.

   I once heard that every young woman should have a wise woman in their lives.  You are mine.  You recently told me that you regretted having to have the "perfect" house and not spending more time playing with your children while they grew up. Okay, I might have taken that house advice a little too far.  But you did teach me what finger vacuuming is. That insight is easily lost on busy moms..  My promise to you is I will live that lesson everyday.


Anyone who does not believe in angels has never met you.  I know you are with me forever and have shaped who I am.   Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it's in hot water."  Well Grandma, you lived most of your young life in a never-ending boiling pot.  You are the strongest women I have ever met and that strength reminds me that when I have struggles, I have that same blood, that same strength, inside me.


 I do not have you on this earth anymore.  Even though I cannot hold your hand I hold you in my heart, mind, and memories forever. To not see you suffer through another agonizing breath is a blessing and though my sadness is selfish I am relieved; you are at peace.

We have all been told go to our "happy place."  You and Grandpa created mine...  I remember lying in the shade of the oak trees on a summer day in the hammock at your house on Round Lake listening to the waves gently lapping on the shore.

 I know you were watching from the window, you always did.

I don't know what is beyond this world but I like to think you are still watching from that window.



May God bless you and keep you.

I love you forever

P.S.  Say "Hello" from time to time; I will be watching and remembering.  I promise.

No comments: